The California Emergency Medical Services Authority (EMSA) has announced the creation of a Statewide HIE in EMS Advisory Committee to support efforts to develop HIE capability for daily EMS and disaster medical response throughout California.
This effort represents a significant advancement in expanding health information exchange and bringing EMS more fully into the broader health care system, so there are a lot of moving parts. There are decisions to be made that will impact a wide variety of EMS, HIE and health care stakeholders throughout California and, eventually, nationwide. We sought and are honored to have, the participation of a team of knowledgeable partners to assist and provide advice. The following individuals have been selected to participate in this ground breaking HIE project based on their experience and interest in the subject matter as well as their specific point of view:
- BJ Bartleson, Vice President of Nursing & Clinical Services at the California Hospital Association
- Paul Budilo, Executive Director and CEO at Orange County Partnership Regional Health Information Organization, Inc.
- Daniel Chavez, Executive Director at San Diego Health Connect
- Cathy Chidester, EMS Agency Director at the Los Angeles County Emergency Medical Services Agency
- Scott Christman, Chief Information Officer at the Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development
- Assistant Chief Neal Cline, Training/CQI at Butte County EMS
- Dr. Robert Cothren, Executive Director at the California Association of Health Information Exchanges
- Mike Dayton, EMS Administrator at San Francisco EMS Agency
- Susan Fanelli, Assistant Director, California Department of Public Health
- Dr. Jay Goldman, Medical Director of EMS & Ambulance at Kaiser Permanente Northern California
- Dr. Bruce Haynes, EMS Medical Director, San Diego County EMS Agency
- Dr. Chris Jaeger, Vice President of Medical Informatics at Sutter Health
- Andrea Leeb, Chief Privacy Officer at California Integrated Data Exchange
- Dave Lipin, Commander of Disaster Medical Assistance Team CA-6
- Dan Lynch, President of Emergency Medical Services Administrators’ Association of California and EMS Director for Central California EMS
- Dave Magnino, EMS Administrator at Sacramento County EMS
- Chief Ric Maloney, CQI Chief at Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District
- Dave Minch, President and Chief Operating Officer at HealthShare Bay Area
- Leo Pak, Chief Technology Officer at Inland Empire Health Information Exchange
- Erik Peterson, Chief Administrative Officer at American Ambulance, representing the California Ambulance Association
- Raul Ramirez, Division Chief, Office of Health Information Technology at the Department of Health Care Services
- Laurent Repass, Data System Program Manager at Orange County EMS
- Mark Roberts, Data Manager at Inland Counties EMS Agency
- George Sarkis, Director of IT & ePCR Solutions at American Medical Response
- Elaine Scordakis, Assistant Director at California Office of Health Information Integrity
- Patty Skoglund, Senior Director of Disaster Preparedness at Scripps Health
- Dan Smiley, Chief Deputy Director, EMS Authority
- Sean Turner, Senior Director of Health Information Exchange & Community Care at Dignity Health
The committee will assist in identifying and resolving potential issues with the Health Information Exchange project, assist in communicating the process and value of this effort to a diverse health care system, and work as subcommittees to address policy and technical questions and provide recommendations.
Members will meet four times per year over two years between now and June 2017, twice in person and twice by phone each year. The first meeting will take place October 27, 2015 at EMSA headquarters in Sacramento. Committee operation is funded by the Health Information Exchange Grant from the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology that was awarded to EMSA on July 27, 2015.